In general Water Dragons are not too fussy, but it is very important to keep an eye on their diet.
Always make sure to give them additional Vitamin Supplements, and Calcium sprinkled over their food every alternate day. (P.S. and please make sure to give them fresh water daily! This is very important to their well being. More about this in the Care Section of this site)
Remember: A Water Dragon is not meant to be FAT. Keep an eye on their diet.
What types of food to feed them:
1. Crickets (Do not feed adult Crickets to young Dragons, they will not be able to digest the food, and it may even get stuck requireing the help of a Vet. If you are lucky enough to spot problems ahead of time).
Feed your crickets on some FRESH carrots. You can use small slices of Oranges as a good water supply for your crickets. Remember your dragon has to eat what is inside of the insects. So if you do purchase crickets from your local pet shop please make sure they have food.
2. Earth Worms (yum, yum. Very high in proteins, nutrients and calcium. Not many Dragon fancy this dish though)
3. Silk worms - Instead of the traditional Mulberry leaves, feed your silkies on a diet of lettuce and carrot. Mulberry leaves do not contain all the nutrients required by your Dragon.
4. Mealworm - Great diet for young Dragons.
5. Gaint Mealworm - Very wholesome. PLEASE MAKE SURE TO CRUSH THE WORMS HEAD BEFORE YOU GIVE IT TO YOUR DRAGON! They are capable of eating their way back out if the Dragon did not bite its head off.
6. Pinkies/Fuzzy's - If your Dragon is old/big enough to eat these, you could try. Do however not make this a regular diet, as they are very rich in fatty acids, and will cause your dragon to become overweight.
7. Feeder fish. - Feeder fish gives some life to the water in your terrarium. You dragon will love you for this sort of treat. Fish is very high in protien and vitamins, but again care should be taken not to let your Dragon consume them on a too regular basis.
8. Vegetables - Not many Water Dragons will actually eat veggies, although it should make out a good part of their diet. Try some lettuce, orange, berries, peach, banana and apple. Do not feed them cabbage, as this is very unhealthy for Lizards in general!
NEVER FEED YOUR DRAGON ANY 'DRAGON FLY' - IT IS POISONOUS TO REPTILES AND WILL KILL YOUR DRAGON!
NEVER SPRAY ANY INSECTICIDES NEAR THE DRAGON OR TERRARIUM!
Be careful not to feed your dragon any insects from around the house/garden. Pesticides around the area could harm your dragon.
Do not leave dead food in the terrarium. It will cause the area to stink and attract unwanted ant's.
BACK TO MAIN PAGE.